In lab today we started it off by presenting our topics that were about the earth, universe, starts, and other things in our solar system. One thing I found interesting about stars is that stars die. Before we talked about this I didn't realize stars can just vanish, explode. when stars are at the end of their life, they get high energy and explode causing it to be at the stage of "supernova". Another thing I learned during the presentation of stars is that they are mainly made up of Hydrogen. I also learned that the supernova stage is very important to us, as it gives us the rest of the elements on the periodic table. We then talked about the small changes that happen over time in earth, including when plates change/move.
In the pressbook, I learned more about the origins of the universe. The pressbook restated a lot of what we talked about during lab.. One thing it restated was the importance of the Big Bang, which it is an expansion NOT explosion. Another thing the pressbook restated was the word nebulae, where stars begin which is a cloud of gas and dust. This is the main sequence of the stars. One thing I learned about stars that my peers didn't include in their presentation was nuclear fusion. I learned that nuclear fusion is the process of where stars get their energy. One thing I found interesting is that earth was not formed during the Big Bang. The years of when they both were formed is a huge gap. Last week in lecture we talked about the different sides of the moon. The pressbook went into deeper knowledge comparing the sides of the moon. I didn't realize the moon side we see from earth has a very thin crust. A lot of the rest of the pressbook I knew and remembered from prior knowledge. Don't need more information/No more questions this week!
In lecture today we watch a video of what way water spins on the equator. I thought this was interesting to see how the direction changes. We learned more about the Big Bang. The big bang again was a expansion NOT an explosion. Time and space was created from the big bang. All of the things that make the worth today, scientists only know 10^-43 seconds. The idea of a nucleus took thousands of years to create. We then say that there are alternative theories to the Big Bang. I learned that light didn't happen about 300,00 years after the big bang, nuclear fusion created stars to light up (starts their "life") and our sun came form a stellar nebula (dust and debris). We then we look at the life cycles of stars. We also talked about how the earth formed. We then talked about the supermassive black hole in the center of galaxies. Those black holes have so much gravitational pull that holds it all together. We also saw the only picture of the black hole. We finally talked about how there are so many questions about space that no one will know the answer to. Our future students will also have many questions and we need to tell them that we can learn about it together.
Pictures:
 |
| stars |
 |
| stars |
 |
| earth- plates, etc. |
 |
| cycles of the earth |
 |
alternate theories of the Big Bang
|
Comments
Post a Comment