Week of September 9th

Today in lab we had to design and conduct an investigation based off the speed of a rider going down a slide. My group and I decided to change the conditions of the weather to see the change of speed of the rider going down the slide. The independent variable in this investigation is the weather and the dependent variable is the slide's steepness and rider's condition. Our main question of our investigation was, "If the slide is wet, how does it affect the speed of the rider that goes down the slide?".  After many trials, we noticed that when we added water to the slide before the water went down the slide, the rider's speed increased. When we added water while the rider went down the slide, the speed of the rider was the fastest. Lastly, when the rider just went down the slide dry, the speed of the ride was slower than when adding water. We concluded, if the slide is wet, the speed of the rider going down the slide is faster than if the slide is dry. 

Today in lecture we talked deeper about the slide example, explaining a person going down the slide and what may affect the speed. We talked about how this can include the clothing of the person going down the slide and steepness of the slide itself. We then looked closer into gravity and friction based off the rider on the slide. Gravity would be pulling the rider down, while friction is keeping the rider up.

After reading the pressbook, I learned more about Newton's 3 laws. I thought this was a good refresh/helpful as I have learned about the laws in the past but have forgotten. I enjoyed how the pressbook included the description of the 3 laws and the meaning of what it means. No questions today/I don't need more information on anything this week! I also enjoyed how each of the laws had a questions based along with it. Helping to show us how important questions are.:

pressbook notes







Comments

Popular Posts